Occasionally, when I'm in need of a change of scenery,
I offer my cooking services and slap stick comedy
to the homes of other people.
When Clara Mae James mentioned that she wanted to host a
Brooklyn brunch in her backyard, I jumped at opportunity to play with her toys in her amazing kitchen.
Armed with a package of thick cut bacon and nonstick skillet,
I hopped on the F train and made my way to Park Slope.
Here are a few snapshots from that day!
|A brunch is not a brunch without a nice Dominican rum cocktail!|
|Fresh flowers in whiskey bottles, so Brooklyn, |
so very Clara Mae James
|I heart ice! Little touches like these are always noted |
|The secret to a MEAN bloody mary is extra Tabasco and |
extra olive juice
(Extra vodka wouldn't hurt, either ;))
|Perfect waffle weather|
|Dancing, there is always dancing.|
|Ingredients for an AMAZING red velvet waffle!|
|Give it a whirl!|
|No better garnish than Maple bacon and |
a dollop of Cream Cheese Pecan Butter!
Red Velvet Waffles
Recipe adapted from Delish website
Non stick cooking spray
2 cup(s) all purpose flour
1 1/4 cup(s) sugar
1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
4 tablespoon(s) unsweetened cocoa
1/4 cup(s) butter, melted & cooled
2 cup(s) buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
2 tablespoon(s) red food color
4 ounce(s) cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick(s) butter, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon(s) teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup(s) finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup(s) lightly toasted coconut
2 cup(s) corn syrup
1 teaspoon(s) coconut extract
1. Preheat waffle iron and spray with non stick cooking spray.
2. Add the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa to a large mixing bowl.
3. To a food processor, add the butter, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract and red food color.
4. Pulse to blend; spoon in half of the flour mixture into processor at a time, pulsing to blend before adding the last of the flour mix.
5. Spoon 1/4 cup of the batter evenly onto the waffle iron and cook until desired doneness.
6. Remove waffles as they cook and keep warm until all are cooked.
7. Fold together the cream cheese, butter , cinnamon, and pecans until blended; set aside.
8. For the syrup, whisk together the coconut, corn syrup and coconut extract and pour into a serving dish.
9. Serve waffles topped with some of the cream cheese pecan butter and syrup on the side.