Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Momofuku Inspired Lettuce Wraps, Cambodian Family Edition

Large family meals can be a bit intimidating to organize. 
Whenever I'm asked to do a dinner party with more than 5 patrons, 
family style is always the way to go. 

Family style forces interaction because,
let's face it, if you don't speak up, 
you're going to miss out on  
half the meal on the other end of the table.  

When my own family asked me to throw a 
dinner party while in town, 
a few things popped into my head.

1. Why are they always asking me to cook when I'm in town??

2. Definitely doing family style. Keep it simple.

3. Definitely doing Momofuku inspired lettuce wraps. 


I had the Pork Butt dinner a few months back at 
Momofuku Ssam bar and 
it was pure genius. 

The concept of pairing perfectly cooked and seasoned protein with lettuce leaves, amazing sauce and crunchy veggies seemed like something I could easily duplicate at home. 

With my own spin, of course. 

On the menu?

Meat

Red Snapper
Tamarind Lime Pork Tenderloins
Garlic Sirloin Steaks 

Sauce

Momofuku Octo vin  
Momofuku Scallion Ginger 
Kim Chee
Quick Pickled Summer Beef Steak Tomatoes with 
Cambodian Anchovies

Crunchy

Red Leaf Lettuce
Red, Green, Yellow Peppers
Cucumber
Bean Sprout

Garlic Ginger Jasmine Rice

Feel free to contact me if you're in the NYC area and you and 
your family want to give this meal a try! 

lany@dinnerbylany.com



Season your meat! 




Here's a tip, scallions are better than regular onion in salads because they add a more gentle onion flavor. 



Sauce numero uno! 

Sauce numero DOS! 


Red Snapper's firm sweet flesh makes it perfect for roasting. 

Dancing, there is always dancing. 

My favorite meat to cook, PORK!


I told you... I love Red Snapper! 

Mmmmmm....

He made a burrito with the leftovers!
Basically, he piled several layers of pork and steak and formed a sushi like roll.  Next, he wrapped it tightly in aluminum foil. I can post the recipe, but honestly, I think that was the only step. 



Momofuku Octo Vin Sauce 
I love this sauce.  This sauce is great with any meat, but it's especially delicious with Fried Chicken! Also, don't be lazy and use a food processor to finely chop your garlic and ginger.  Let your knife skills shine and try chopping with a chef's knife! 

2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
2 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thai-bird chili pepper or pepper of your choice
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup light soy sauce
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or other oil)
1/4 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar


Mix ingredients together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly