Monday, July 23, 2012

Lazy (Okay, Maybe Not So Lazy) Chicken Curry Burritos with Coconut Corn Lime Salad

I had an idea. My eureka moment came while I was eating curry with my hands because my fork accidently fell on the ground and was left with no utensil to finish my remaining two bites. 

Anyway, this idea came to me as I was licking my fingers clean.  I thought, why couldn't curry be a utensil free dish? Why shouldn't we compact all of my curry bits into something that will allow one to consume while walking or standing? Why couldn't I put curry in a... beautiful, steamed, chewy TORTILLA?! Boom. I began to put my plan into action. Let's begin.

Scoured my spice cabinet for some curry friendly flavors. I added a tablespoon of each into a mug.


Dusted my boneless and skinless chicken thighs with said spice. Set aside to allow the ingredients get to know each other.



I needed a pico de gallo alternative. So, I found these sweet mini peppers that will add the perfect crunch and sweetness to my burrito.


I also added half of a red onion to the mix.


Diced them up and added them to a nonreactive bowl.


Bang up a few garlic cloves with the back of your cleaver. This is a good aggression release exercise.  Mince finely and then add that to your peppers and onions.


Now, segment two limes for optimal juicin' and squirt them into your bowl.


Finally, my favorite, Add two tablespoons of fish sauce. Mix and set aside.


Now for the third component! The garlic and basil rice that will substitute basic spanish white rice.

Chiffonade basil leaves (thai basil would be better, but I didn't have any on hand) and mince three big garlic cloves.


Heat a skillet and melt a tablespoon of butter. Add garlic until fragrant then once cup of rice.  Toast lightly, throw in basil. 


Once basil is lightly wilted, throw everything in a rice cooker and  add water. Turn it on and let the rice cooker work it's magic!


Okay, I guess you realize now that this burrito requires
a lot of prep work.
Hang in there. I assure you, it will be worth it!

Let's start roasting some corn!

Shuck and throw the corn in a cast iron skillet, occasionally rolling it around until a nice char is achieved.  I'm such a sucker for a beautiful char. One of my favorite things in the world is burnt toast. Weird? Maybe.  


Off with their ears!


Usually, I would shave off my own coconut. But today I felt particularly lazy and decided to buy store bought flakes.  Because, hey. That's okay too.


Next, add the juice of two limes.

Squirt.


Sprinkle a touch of salt and pepper to taste and 1 tablespoon of fish sauce. Toss in some thinly sliced green onions...
and, you're done!


Actually, you're not. You still have to cook the burrito.

To make it quick, I created a little montage for you.
I call it the curry swirl.


Add your seasoned and sliced chicken thighs and stir occasionally until chicken is cooked through.


Assemble.


Roll it up and serve with your corn salad.  Now take a bite and smile because you now have one less fork to wash at the end of the end. Oh wait, you need one for your corn salad. Ah... nevermind. Cheers!




Chicken Curry Burritos with Sweet Pepper Pico De Gallo and Basil Garlic Rice

Serves 6

Chicken Curry Burritos

1 lb of boneless skinless chicken thighs (THINLY SLICED)




1 can of coconut milk
1 package of flour tortillas


Seasoning for chicken thighs:
 1 tsp of cumin
 1 tbs of paprika
 1 tbs of salt
 1 tsp of pepper
 1 tbs of cayenne
 1 tsp of dry mustard

1. Mix seasoning in small bowl and dust washed, dried and thinly sliced chicken thighs. Set aside.

2. Begin making BASIL GARLIC RICE and PICO De GALLO.  Recipes are below. 

3. In large shallow heated pan (medium/high heat), add coconut milk.  Once boiled, add curry paste and stir. Add chicken to curry mixture. Once cooked through, remove from heat.

4. Steam your tortillas in a steamer basket or toast on a lightly oiled skillet on medium to low heat.

5. Assemble your burrito with chicken, basil rice and pico de gallo.  Wrap your burrito.  Serve with Roasted Corn and Coconut salad.  Recipe is below.


Basil and Garlic Scented Rice

1 tbs of olive oil
3 large garlic gloves, minced
1/2 cup of chiffonaded basil
1 cup of jasmin rice
2 cups of water

1. Add 1 tbs of olive oil to heated skillet

2. Lightly sautee garlic until fragrant, add your rice until lightly toast.

3. Add basil.

4. Empty contents into a rice cooker and add water. Turn on rice cooker.


Sweet Pepper Pico De Gallo

8 small sweet peppers, diced
1/2 of red onion, diced
2 limes
2 tablespoons fish sauce
3 cloves of garlic minced

1. Combine all of the ingredients into a nonreactive bowl. Toss and allow to marinate for atleast an hour.


Roasted Sweet Corn with Coconut Salad

4 large summer corns
1 cup of coconut flakes
2 limes
2 tablespoons of fish sauce
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat cast iron skillet on high. Once hot, add corn to skillet. Turn frequently until desired char is achieved. Remove from pan.

2. Shave off corn ears with a sharp blade into a bowl.

3. Add 1 cup of coconut flakes, the juice of two limes, fish sauce and salt and pepper. Toss.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly