Monday, July 23, 2012

It's a Crab Boil Ya'll!

My fiance has never been to a crab boil before. I was shocked that I let the love of my life walk this earth without ever tasting the beauty of a crab boil.  I knew immediately that I had to throw him and my family a good ole fashion low country boil for the fourth of July. Since I was home, I knew good seafood was not going to be hard to find.  Mayport not only has THE BEST shrimp but also amazing seafood.  So, let the boil begin!

Every good boil needs some veggies to soak up all of the excess flavors of the broth.  Not pictured include corn on the cob and spicy andouille sausage. 


Of course, you must not forget the crab!


...And a few of their friends!


Whether you like it or not, the shell and head of shrimps are packed with flavor and it would be a waste to not include both in your boil.  However, even though I am an eater of all things, I do not think shrimp poop is at all appetizing.  So how does one remove the poo out of shrimp and still leave the shell and head intact?

 Prepare to be amazed!


All you do is cut a slit in the body and carefully slip your toothpick under a vein and slowly pull it out. Genuis, I know.

Next step.

All the spices you need is a really big cannister of Old Bay Seasoning.

Probably needs more Old Bay...

Once the broth is spicy and full of flavor... in goes the crab!

Julia Child moment

This is a family twist... two lime dips! One with lost of garlic, pepper, salt and lime juice.  The other dip has several chopped chillies with garlic, sugar, lime juice and minced ginger. 

I've never seen a pretty low country boil.  Usually it looks like a big trash heap. That being said, isn't that the beauty of these things?  Unprententious flavor packed chunks of seafood bliss.



Low Country Seafood Boil

Serves 6

Adapted from Paula Deen's recipe.  Even though it just says shrimp, you can add any kind of seafood you desire!

  Crab boil, 2 teaspoons per quart of water
  12 red new potatoes
  6 (4-inch) smoked sausage link sausage
  6 ears corn
  3 pounds fresh shrimp, unpeeled

1. Fill a large pot with enough water to cover all of the   ingredients. Add the crab boil and bring to a boil.

2. Adjust the crab boil to suit your taste.

3. When the water boils, add the potatoes and sausage.

4. Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes. A

5. Add corn and cook for an additional 10 minutes.

6. Add shrimp and cook for no more than 3 minutes.

7. Drain and serve with warm bread.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly