Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Coconut Shrimp with Chopped Tropical Salad and Chili Vinaigrette


When I woke up on this particular day, I woke up craving a nice greasy cheese burger.  Why? Because, on this particular day, I had big plans to finally wheel my pain in the butt cart full of clothes to a popular East Village consignment shop and sell my fashion blunders away. 

Trust me, there was a reason why I postponed this task for weeks.  My huge cart (usually reserved for pre Superbowl party grocery shopping) was jammed packed with ill-fitted sweaters, not so skinny jeans, scuffed boots and neon mishaps. It was time to part ways and try to earn (what I thought) AT LEAST $50.  

Juicy, greasy, bacon cheeseburger was to be my reward for completing this mission. 

Boo. One subway ride and five blocks later, I walked away with $4.  

Always the optimist, I thought to myself... well, I can have that juicy, greasy, bacon cheeseburger and feel worse about myself OR stop by Chinatown, grab some mangos and make myself a light summer salad. 

Summer salad it is! 

Coconut Shrimp with Chopped Tropical Salad and Chili Vinaigrette 

Recipe adapted from Cooking Light

This recipe is a three part-er! Don't worry, each part is really easy... 

Coconut Shrimp
serves 4 

28 large shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1/3 cup cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
3 large egg whites
1 1/2 cups flaked sweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 400°.

To prepare shrimp, peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Rinse shrimp in cold water; drain on paper towels until dry.

Combine cornstarch, salt, and red pepper in a shallow dish; stir with a whisk. Place the egg whites in a medium bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until frothy (about 2 minutes). Place coconut in a shallow dish.

Working with one shrimp at a time, dredge in cornstarch mixture. Dip in egg white; dredge in coconut, pressing gently with fingers. Place shrimp on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat the procedure with remaining shrimp, cornstarch mixture, egg white, and coconut. Lightly coat shrimp with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until shrimp are done, turning after 10 minutes.

Chili Vinaigrette

3 tablespoons of Bottled Sweet Thai Chili Sauce 
3 tablespoons of Rice Vinegar

Mix in a bowl until well incorporated and set aside. 


Chop up your favorite tropical fruit and veggies. For this salad, I used mangos, avocado, english cucumbers and vine ripened tomatoes.  Combine with your a leafy green, I picked baby spinach. 

In a bowl, toss your chopped salad with your vinaigrette and top with coconut shrimp.  Enjoy! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly