Thursday, January 24, 2013

Creamy Asparagus Soup


Ever since I got my food processor, I am convinced that I can turn anything into a soup.  I had 2 pounds of asparagus and a half box of mushrooms left over from an event last Friday, and I thought to myself, why not whiz this up with some broth and cream and see what happens! The result? A soup mug full of creamy delight! 

Creamy Asparagus Soup
Recipe adapted from Simply Recipes

* Since this was for a quick weekday supper, and I was starving, I didn't bother cutting off the tips and reserving them for garnish.  Nor did I run the soup through a sieve.  Since we are being honest, I didn't add vermouth either, because I didn't have any on hand.  But it still tasted amazing!  Okay, fine. Maybe I didn't even do the recipe. I just copied and pasted the picture from the website. JUST KIDDING!! I diiiidddd.... hehe.   

INGREDIENTS

2 lbs asparagus, trimmed of woody stem bottoms
1 large yellow onion, chopped (1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped)
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
4 cups vegetable stock
1 cup water
Leaves of 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp dry vermouth
A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper


METHOD
1 Cut tips from the asparagus 1 1/2 inches from top and halve tips lengthwise if thick. Reserve for garnish. Chop the remaining asparagus stalks into 1/4-inch rounds.

2 Melt the butter in a 4 to 5 quart pot on medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped asparagus (not the spear tips) to the onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Cook another 5 minutes.



3 Add the broth, water, and thyme to the pot. Increase the heat to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer, covered, until the asparagus are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. At the end of cooking, stir in the chopped parsley.

4 While the soup is cooking, blanche the asparagus tips in a small pot of boiling, salted water (about 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt per quart of water), until the tips are just tender, about 2-4 minutes, depending on the size of the asparagus. Drain. Rinse with cool water to stop the cooking. Set aside.



5 Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth. (If you use an upright blender, work in small batches, fill no more than a third the blender bowl at a time, and hold down the lid while blending.) For a creamy texture, if you want, press the puréed soup through a sieve or food mill. Stir in the cream. Stir in the vermouth and a squeeze of lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Garnish with asparagus tips. 
Yield: Serves 4-6.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly